About Visceral Fat: 8 Ways To Lose It Fast!
Imagine your body is like a house. Inside your house, you have important things like your heart, liver, and other organs. These organs need protection, like a cushion or a cozy blanket.
Now, sometimes, your body makes extra cushioning, like a soft pillow, but it's not good for your health. We call this extra cushioning "visceral fat." It's not like the fat you can pinch on your skin; it's hidden deep inside, around your organs.
Having too much of this visceral fat can be harmful, like having too many pillows in your house; it can make your organs not work well.
Losing visceral fat, the fat stored deep within your abdomen around your internal organs, is important for your health. Excess visceral fat is associated with an increased risk of various health problems, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain cancers.
Losing them can be challenging, but it's not impossible. It requires commitment and a combination of healthy habits. Here are some strategies to help you lose visceral fat:
- Caloric Deficit: To lose any type of fat, including visceral fat, you need to create a caloric deficit. This means consuming fewer calories than you burn. Calculate your daily caloric needs and aim for a modest deficit. Switch out your ice blended drink to iced tea, or lessen sugar in your daily coffee is a great start.
- Balanced Diet: Focus on a balanced diet that includes plenty of vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. Avoid or minimize processed foods, sugary beverages, and excess saturated and trans fats.
- Portion Control: Be mindful of portion sizes to avoid overeating. Having more protein can help to curb appetite, which can keep overeating in minimum.
- Cardiovascular Exercise: Fully utilise your Active SG pass! Engage in regular aerobic activities like brisk walking, jogging, cycling, or swimming. Aim for at least 90 - 120 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise per week.
- Strength Training: Include strength training exercises to build lean muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat, helping with weight management. If you don't have dumbbells or other weight equipment, simple bodyweight workout like wall push up, squat, lunges, and pull up can come in handy.
- Whether we like it or not, high stress levels can contribute to the accumulation of visceral fat. This means most of us who are hustling every day are prone to have visceral fat-buildup. Practice stress-reduction techniques such as meditation, deep breathing, yoga, or mindfulness.
- Aim for 7-8 hours of quality sleep per night. Poor sleep patterns have been linked to weight gain and increased visceral fat. If you are having problems with getting deep sleep, wearing ear plug, eye mask, or even white noise are all good start.
Limit Alcohol Consumption:
- Excessive alcohol intake can contribute to the accumulation of visceral fat. Certain alcohol like beers and cocktails with high sugar level are notorious in growing visceral fats. If you drink, do so in moderation.
- Drinking enough water can help control appetite and support your metabolism. In a tropical climate like Singapore? 2L - 2.5L is a good range.
Reduce Sugar Intake:
- This is tough because sugar is literally everywhere, and it takes some practices to to spot and rule out from our diet. For starters, minimize your consumption of added sugars, which includes desserts, beverages like bubble tea and fruit juice, even food with generous amount of sauces like BBQ or ketchup. These can lead to weight gain and increased fat accumulation, including visceral fat.
Consult a Healthcare Professional:
- If you have significant concerns about visceral fat or are struggling to lose it despite your efforts, consult with a healthcare provider or a registered dietitian. They can provide personalized guidance and may recommend medical interventions if necessary.
Remember that spot reduction (losing fat from a specific area of the body) is not generally effective. To lose visceral fat, you must focus on overall fat loss through a combination of diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes. It's also essential to make sustainable changes to maintain a healthy weight and reduce visceral fat in the long term.
Gym 51 offers competitively priced gym equipment with great quality. All the products offered here sourced with great care and have received a lot of great reviews from our past users. With a great selection across different type of home gym equipment, you can be assured to find just the perfect equipment without breaking the bank.